I myself felt it a few weeks ago; I just helped a friend through the process the other day:
Being alone hurts, at least at first.
"There is safety in numbers." Being able to trust someone, to open yourself to many and be consistently surrounded by people provides you with numerous outlets. But, it is also restricting.
Asking for permission, seeking advice, coming to consensus: All of these are incredibly empowering activities within groups, and I believe that more group-centered individuals really need to work more on their consensus abilities.
The individual, however, has no need to ask permission. The men or womyn [or anyone who've reached beyond the gender binary] who travel the solo path seek no advice other than the advice of the heart. Consensus is formed the moment the decision to act is made.
As I said before, being alone hurts. Our society does not train us to be alone. We are not trained to think for ourselves, because there is no one to tell us who we are. We are not taught how to take care of ourselves because each of us have different needs. Instead we are drowned in a sea of useless information.
A few weeks ago I cut myself from all forms of media, just for one day. No internet, no phone, no books, no magazines, no radio, no television: No mass media in any form.
I accomplished more, intellectually, in that one day than I had in months. I formulated a theory of the 'world as-is' and the loner's place within that world in that one day. Over the next week I filled in the missing holes but the majority of the work came forth in a single conversation with myself. It was empowering. By eliminating outside messages I discovered my voice, and I discovered how powerful my voice can be.
When you are alone there is no one to hold you except for yourself, and for the spiritualist out there, whatever deity you believe in. The solo quest is a profoundly spiritual path, but more on that later.
There are no groups of friends waiting for you. There is nobody waiting at the end of the tunnel to welcome you into the fold of loners. There is only you, and the path; a path no one has ever traversed before you.
Walk with pride.
26.5.10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment