Being alone is something to be feared. Being alone is dangerous. Being alone is dangerous to society, and to yourself. When you're alone, you're probably doing something wrong.
That's what we're told. That is what we see everywhere we go.
I have a different voice I listen to, she says:
Being alone is where you can find safety. Being alone is comforting. Being alone is empowering. When you're alone, you can open your eyes and truly see the world around you.
When I'm surrounded by people who know my name, and expect interaction, I am often putting aside my own beliefs and values for a time. I do not condone many things that drive conversation these days; Nor do I understand them.
I don't find violence, sexual objectification, racism or any other form of oppression to be humorous, inspiring or entertaining. In fact, I detest all of these.
Yet, there is a surplus of dead baby jokes, dumb blond jokes, race-specific jokes out there. I can't go outside without hearing a disability made fun of, a sexual orientation mocked at best, or spat upon.
In society there is a profound lack of love and acceptance. Society has compassion fatigue, otherwise known as Secondary Traumatic Stress Disorder. The news has sensationalized us so much that death, racism, sexism, hetero-sexism, and all other forms of oppression are not only normal, but great bonding moments amongst the teens to twenty-somethings.
When I see the humor behind hate, the twinkle of an eye after a oppressive joke, I cringe, and my hatred for humanity grows.
When I am alone, I am filled with love. for myself, for this world and it's inhabitants.
When I am alone, I want to help the world, to save it from itself in any way I can.
When I am alone, I work towards that goal.
11.4.10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment