We live in a world where 'social butterflies' flit from one stage of life to the next.
Networking in the goal, more so than any form of intrinsic accomplishments.
Where once the rugged loner stood strong amongst the failures of society, now he hides behind the counter at the local five-and-dime, leering at the customers. He stalks and obsesses. He sits at his desk in his one room studio with only the glare of his computer screen for light. The sweat rolled down the mountain of his cheeks, leaping from the cliff-edge of his jaw.
I used primarily male images in the previous paragraph because that is the message that is seen on-screen and in pop culture.
The image of the lone witch or wise-woman was once respectful, empowering and inspiring, now a female alone is unheard of because it is not safe for her. I aim to reclaim that visage: for men, womyn, and everyone else. I want to renew the loner as a source of strength and wisdom. As the old man atop the mountain who dispenses wisdom to those who reach the top, the hermit in the cave who communes with nature and the gods, or the writer, who works for years in solitude to create a work of art that touches the lives of millions. Never lonely, but always alone.
The world we live in was built upon the shoulders of those who walk alone. Our greatest minds - scientists, artists, musicians, authors, poets, adventurers - stood against the world and took the road less traveled. For though they abandoned society at large, and shunned company as one would a poison, it is their shining light that leads the rest of the world forward.
I yearn to add to their light. I prefer the solitude of my own mind, the love of my own heart, and the peace of my own soul.
I am a media student. I have a background in theatre, psychology, history, literature, music, dance, poetry, photography, and mythology. I spend my time reading, hiking, meditating, teaching myself how to: play guitar, build guitars, knit, sew, speak dead languages, work with leather, etc.
I do not intend to tell anyone of this blog. These words will be a testament to my soul, and to my chosen path. I will bare my soul to the emptiness of the internet, where the challenges I face and the beliefs I own will echo amongst the silence the digital canyons.
I am my own man, and this life is mine.
4.4.10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment